Exciting things coming up in August both in and around Rockridge and further afield:
- Subculture the East Bay Express’s Best of the East Bay Party: With something for everyone (and I mean everyone), the East Bay Express will be celebrating everything wonderful about the East Bay at the Oakland Museum this Friday, August 7 from 5pm to midnight. The party itself is so massive and diverse that it makes summary a futile endeavor. Download a large copy of the invitation by clicking here (invite) or check the blog the EBE has set up for more information. (Best of the East Bay 2009 Party Blog)
- FLUX Super 8 Showcase: Sets from the short film Synesthesia by directors Corey Creasey and Ian Kibbey of Terri Timely will be part of this exhibition curated by RESFEST founder Jonathan Wells. This is the first annual showcase by FLUX, organized to celebrate eight of the most exciting and emerging young artists working in film, video, music and design. Watch Terri Timely’s film here (Synesthesia via Terri Timely). Opening: August 15, 7pm Scion Installation L.A. 3521 Helms Ave (at National) Culver City, CA. 90232 (310) 815-8840. Through September 8.
- Oliveto Tomato Dinners: Oliveto’s annual Tomato dinners are the perfect capstone to tomato season, but this year in particular. Oliveto’s new Community Journal has been tracking the cultivation of this years crop from the time the Early Girls were planted as seeds back in February via Tomato Watch (check out their brilliant Tomato Watch timeline by clicking here). For those of us who have been watching all along, the Journal has taken the experience of anticipation of eating this prized fruit to new levels. Whether you’re a regular or an Oliveto virgin, the Tomato Dinners are sure to delight. Wednesday through Saturday, August 26 through 29, 2009. (Oliveto Restaurant, Oliveto Community Journal)
- Chalk Hill Clematis’s Mary Toomey Garden Open House: The eminent clematis cultivators Chalk Hill will open their doors to the public later this month for a tour of the Mary Toomey Garden. From the Chalk Hill website: The Mary Toomey Garden is adjacent to the nursery and consists of a large pergola planted with roses and clematis and five individual gardens each with a different theme including an eighty foot long perennial bed featuring many herbaceous varieties. Chalk Hill also produces their own Olive Oil and Vinegar, available for sale at the farm. In addition, cultivator Kaye Heafey’s book A Celebration of Clematis will be available for purchase Open House Friday August 28th from 9am-4pm. Chalk Hill Clematis PO Box 1847, Healdsburg, CA 95448 (707) 433-8416 email@example.com
- Os Mutantes LIVE: One of my favorite musical acts of all time will be performing live at the Independent in San Francisco as part of the second annual Outside Lands festival. Their blend of Tropicalia, Psychedelia, and progressive rock have made them a unique (and we all shudder to use that word, but in this case it’s appropriate) force in 20th century popular music consciousness since their debut in the mid-1960s. Don’t miss this rare opportunity to see them in action. Sunday, August 30, 9PM (Os Mutantes Myspace) (Tickets via the Independent) (About Os Mutantes via Wikipedia)