Dear current and future parents,
This is what can happen when kids have smart phones and when teachers supply students with email addresses to turn in projects digitally:
Hi Ms. Smith* (:
i’m in my physics class and i’m hella bored!!!!!!!!!! we’re working on
our final, and i’m dying here. i swear i have had senioritis since
freshman year! :(( it’s so bad. haha, well i’ll see you
Email received 11:41AM PST Monday June 1, 2009
*all names have been changed to protect privacy of teacher and student
One of my graduation presents–isn’t it hysterical?
Mean Teacher dish by John Derian
Beware! Beware children of the Bay–whether San Francisco, Marin, Peninsula or East!
¡Mean teacher is here!
Beware! my tight curls, sharp hairsticks, heavy leather-bound volume,
Beware! my mutton sleeves, corsetted waist, pursed lips,
Beware! my unsympathetic eyes and disaffected pointed finger!
I WILL SCHOOL THEE
and it won’t be fun
no it won’t be pretty
Beware. Mean teacher is here.
I’m thinking about:
- building student confidence to improve academic achievement; see NY Times and The Situationist
- how did I forget today was Earth Day? Jewels of New York in Fort Greene (details on their Twitter) My students are super excited about the film Earth. “It looks hecka tight!” Opening today, Earth Day.
- why aren’t there more floral design blogs? And where did I put all those Parisian florist business cards I collected last spring?
- (in this case still thinking about) how many of my students were stoned on 4/20, how I’m supposed to feel about that, and what I’m supposed to do…NY Times on legalization
- so much trouble in the world; breath in suffering breath out loving kindness
- my latest “ethical dilemma.” Would you like to read it?
- Grilled Halibut with Chimichurri—YES! recipe at Epicurious
photo by Romulo Yanes
Over the last two or so months I have been planning and teaching, and analyzing and writing about my teaching. The result is eighty-eight pages of hard work. The impetus was P.A.C.T. What is P.A.C.T.? The Performance Assessment of California Teachers.
I’m done and I’m celebrating. I like to call it my first book. Go me.