- Education policy. What is the connection between public high schools and two and four year colleges? Whatever it is it isn’t enough. So much of the education debate takes place around K-12 that we leave out any consideration of what our students go on to post-diploma. The NY Times explores one side of this issue. (NY Times)
- My students are doing incredible research on social justice issues. One group is focusing on the enormous issue of prostitution, while another is looking at human trafficking. My ears perked up when I heard this debate on NPR last night. Also thrilled to have discovered Intelligence Squared U.S. (NPR)
- More on prostitution: This is an incredible story taking place as we speak in the life of one woman, her lawyers, and a flawed justice system. Read the story and send a letter. (FreeDebbie)
- Pop-Up Stores…ever since Refinery29 started talking about their pop-up Save Fashion I’ve been intrigued. All of a sudden I’m having crazy ideas about Rockridge and Pop-Up stores…more on Pop-Ups and Save Fashion: (Refinery29) (Save Fashion) (Business Week)
- More, more, and more gardening. I’m working on the landscape, a vegetable garden, and a cutting garden for my flower arranging. Had a great morning at Longs on 51st the other day (sounds crazy but this is a well-respected garden center for you skeptical non-East Bay-ers). Here’s one of my favorite purchases:
Aquilegia ‘Origami Blue and White’
Prolific long-spurred blooms are a favorite of hummingbirds. Beautifully rounded plant habit, airy silver-gray foliage. Good choice for cutting, naturalizing. Plant in sun or partial shade 12″ apart. Grows to 16″ tall.